What should I do before putting on personal protective gear to give care?

First and foremost, wash your hands. This will ensure that your hands are clean before you put on any PPE. Not all care requires gloves, gowns, protective eyewear, or masks. A good rule of thumb is: "if it is wet and not yours don't touch it." This helps with blood, urine or other obvious body fluids. 

Sometimes we can be exposed to splashes, fine mists, or droplets in the air. Then a mask, respirator, or goggles would be helpful. Masks can be put on the patient and the caregiver to reduce the number of particles in the air.

The order we "put on" and "take off" our PPE matters. For more information on this, copy this video link into your web browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxdaSeq4EVU&list=UU-g0YPrNz_XHGNOvi6POoCA&index=18&feature=plcp 

Before putting on personal protective equipment such as disposable gloves, cover any of your own cuts, scrapes or sores with a bandage to prevent disease transmission when giving care.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I care for a crush injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Care for specific injuries found and assume that internal injuries are present. Also care for shock....
What should I do if my child swallows a small toy?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
What to do depends on what your child swallowed. If they swallowed a small plastic toy and do not se...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign