What should I do before putting on personal protective gear to give care?

Before putting on personal protective equipment such as disposable gloves, cover any of your own cuts, scrapes or sores with a bandage to prevent disease transmission when giving care.

First and foremost, wash your hands. This will ensure that your hands are clean before you put on any PPE. Not all care requires gloves, gowns, protective eyewear, or masks. A good rule of thumb is: "if it is wet and not yours don't touch it." This helps with blood, urine or other obvious body fluids. 

Sometimes we can be exposed to splashes, fine mists, or droplets in the air. Then a mask, respirator, or goggles would be helpful. Masks can be put on the patient and the caregiver to reduce the number of particles in the air.

The order we "put on" and "take off" our PPE matters. For more information on this, copy this video link into your web browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxdaSeq4EVU&list=UU-g0YPrNz_XHGNOvi6POoCA&index=18&feature=plcp 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
What should I keep in my medicine cabinet?
Dr. Kevin J. Soden, MDDr. Kevin J. Soden, MD
This is a very difficult question to answer as what is stocked in a medicine cabinet will vary great...
What steps would a reasonable and prudent person take in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A reasonable and prudent person would:   Check for life-threatening conditions  Call 9-1-1 or...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag