Why should I always check for an open airway in an unconscious person?

Always check whether an unconscious person has an open airway, is breathing and is not bleeding severely.
An open airway allows air to enter the lungs for the person to breathe. If the airway is blocked, the person cannot breathe.
A blocked airway is a life-threatening condition.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I interview an injured or ill person to find out what happened?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Remember to first identify yourself and to get the person’s consent to give care. Begin by asking th...
What is the recovery position in first aid?
The recovery position in first aid is designed to maintain the airway of an unconscious person. Ther...
Support the AED Law and Save a Life
Support the AED Law and Save a Life