Why should I always check for an open airway in an unconscious person?

Always check whether an unconscious person has an open airway, is breathing and is not bleeding severely.
An open airway allows air to enter the lungs for the person to breathe. If the airway is blocked, the person cannot breathe.
A blocked airway is a life-threatening condition.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

How do I interview an injured or ill person to find out what happened?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Remember to first identify yourself and to get the person’s consent to give care. Begin by asking th...
What should I do if someone is impaled?
If you or someone is impaled on an object, do not remove the object. Learn the emergency steps t...
If someone becomes suddenly ill, what conditions should I care for first?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
First care for life-threatening conditions such as unconsciousness; trouble breathing; no breath...
How should I prepare for heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events?
The best way to prevent heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events is hydration, hydration, hyd...