Where should I install smoke alarms?

It is important to place smoke alarms correctly.

• Place alarms on the ceiling or 6 to 12 inches below the ceiling on the wall.
  • Place alarms away from registers or air vents.
  • Avoid areas with high airflow or dead air space (often at the top of a peaked roof).

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

What should I do if I might have difficulty escaping a fire?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Let your local fire department know if you might have difficulty escaping from your home in the ...
How can I use candles safely during the holidays?
Whether your family observes Christmas or Hanukkah (or both), it's important to be careful when usin...
What should I do to be prepared for a house fire?
Almost all fatal fires occur in a home with no smoke alarm, because the #1 threat from a fire is not...
What do I need to know about home fire safety?
Domestic fires pose one of the greatest risks to children. The easiest way to prevent tragedy is to ...