Where should I install smoke alarms?

It is important to place smoke alarms correctly.

• Place alarms on the ceiling or 6 to 12 inches below the ceiling on the wall.
  • Place alarms away from registers or air vents.
  • Avoid areas with high airflow or dead air space (often at the top of a peaked roof).

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

What do I need to know about home fire safety?
Domestic fires pose one of the greatest risks to children. The easiest way to prevent tragedy is to ...
What should I do if there is a fire in my house?
If there is a fire in your house, do the following:• Check the door: If it's hot, step away. If...
What should I do if someone catches on fire?
If you or someone you love catches fire, do the following:  • Stop, drop, and roll if it's you....
How should I prepare my child in case of a fire?
All children should be taught what to do in case of fire. Plan escape routes with your children, and...