What should I do if I might have difficulty escaping a fire?

Let your local fire department know if you might have difficulty escaping from your home in the event of a fire. If you have family members living with you, practice a fire drill at home. Show children how the smoke detector works and what it sounds like. Encourage your children to sleep with their doors closed; doing so will buy them time by keeping the smoke and heat out of the room in the event of a fire. Be sure to discuss how important it might be to run to a neighbor’s house to get help and call the fire department, emphasizing that leaving the house to get help would not mean they are abandoning their pets or family members. Contact your local fire department for more information on home fire safety.
Arthritis

Arthritis

Arthritis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier is a compendium of tips, techniques, and life-task shortcuts all learned from personal experience. Author Shelley Peterman Schwarz has lived with a chronic...

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

How can I safely build a fire during the holidays?
To safely build a fire during the holidays: Remove greenery, bows, papers and other decorations ...
How can I keep my family safe from fire or burn injuries?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To help prevent fire injuries in the home: Put smoke detectors on each floor of the house. Check ...
What should I do if someone catches on fire?
If you or someone you love catches fire, do the following:  • Stop, drop, and roll if it's you....
What should I do if there is a fire in my house?
If there is a fire in your house, do the following:• Check the door: If it's hot, step away. If...