How can I use candles safely during the holidays?

Whether your family observes Christmas or Hanukkah (or both), it's important to be careful when using candles during the holidays, especially if you have young children or pets. Here are some important safety precautions to take with candles:
  • Never use lighted candles on a tree or near greenery.
  • Keep candles away from wrapping paper and other decorations.
  • Place candles where they won't be knocked down or blown over (remember, cats, dogs and children can get to candles in places you'd never suspect!).
  • Don't leave a room or fall asleep with candles burning.
  • Keep matches and lighters safely stored away from children.

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

How can I keep my family safe from fire or burn injuries?
Here are some tips on how to prevent injuries from fires or burns: Use smoke alarms—where people ...
What should I do if there is a fire in my house?
If there is a fire in your house, do the following:• Check the door: If it's hot, step away. If...
What should I do to be prepared for a house fire?
Almost all fatal fires occur in a home with no smoke alarm, because the #1 threat from a fire is not...
What do I need to know about home fire safety?
Domestic fires pose one of the greatest risks to children. The easiest way to prevent tragedy is to ...