How can I safely build a fire during the holidays?

To safely build a fire during the holidays:
  • Remove greenery, bows, papers and other decorations from the fireplace area.
  • Make sure the flue is open.
  • Keep a screen in front of the fireplace while the fire is burning.
  • Use care with "fire salts," which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. Keep them away from children because they contain heavy metals that are harmful if eaten.
  • Do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. It can cause a flash fire and some types of paper emit harmful chemicals. 

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

How should I prepare my child in case of a fire?
All children should be taught what to do in case of fire. Plan escape routes with your children, and...
What do I need to know about home fire safety?
Domestic fires pose one of the greatest risks to children. The easiest way to prevent tragedy is to ...
What should I do to be prepared for a house fire?
Almost all fatal fires occur in a home with no smoke alarm, because the #1 threat from a fire is not...
What should I do if there is a fire in my house?
If there is a fire in your house, do the following:• Check the door: If it's hot, step away. If...