How can I safely build a fire during the holidays?

To safely build a fire during the holidays:
  • Remove greenery, bows, papers and other decorations from the fireplace area.
  • Make sure the flue is open.
  • Keep a screen in front of the fireplace while the fire is burning.
  • Use care with "fire salts," which produce colored flames when thrown on wood fires. Keep them away from children because they contain heavy metals that are harmful if eaten.
  • Do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. It can cause a flash fire and some types of paper emit harmful chemicals. 

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

How should I prepare my child in case of a fire?
All children should be taught what to do in case of fire. Plan escape routes with your children, and...
What should I do if someone catches on fire?
If you or someone you love catches fire, do the following:  • Stop, drop, and roll if it's you....
How can I keep my family safe from fire or burn injuries?
Here are some tips on how to prevent injuries from fires or burns: Use smoke alarms—where people ...
How can I use candles safely during the holidays?
Whether your family observes Christmas or Hanukkah (or both), it's important to be careful when usin...