How can I keep my family safe from fire or burn injuries?

To help prevent fire injuries in the home:

• Put smoke detectors on each floor of the house. Check once a month to see if they are working. Put in new batteries each year. Use a yearly event like a holiday or birthday to remind you.
  • Put carbon monoxide (CO) alarms on each floor.
  • Keep at least one fire extinguisher on hand. The kitchen and garage are good places.
  • Don't smoke in bed. Better yet, don't smoke in the house. Quit smoking, if you can!
  • Wear only fire-resistant clothes for sleeping.
  • Cover unused electrical outlets. You can buy safety plugs at the store.
  • Keep matches and lighters in a locked drawer or cabinet.
  • Make sure space heaters are at least 3 feet away from beds, curtains and other things that could catch fire.
  • Don't wear loose clothing near the stove or oven. Loose, long sleeves are the biggest danger.
  • Watch what you put next to the stove, oven or heater. Plastics, chemicals, papers and other things can easily melt or catch fire.
  • Have a fire escape plan. Make your family practice it at least once a year.

Here are some tips on how to prevent injuries from fires or burns:

• Use smoke alarms—where people sleep and on every level of the home—and test monthly.
  • Create and practice a family fire escape plan.
  • Install a home fire sprinkler system if possible.

Continue Learning about Fire Safety

What should I do if someone catches on fire?
If you or someone you love catches fire, do the following:  • Stop, drop, and roll if it's you....
What should I do if there is a fire in my house?
If there is a fire in your house, do the following:• Check the door: If it's hot, step away. If...
How can I use candles safely during the holidays?
Whether your family observes Christmas or Hanukkah (or both), it's important to be careful when usin...
What do I need to know about home fire safety?
Domestic fires pose one of the greatest risks to children. The easiest way to prevent tragedy is to ...