When should I use my emergency fund?

Jean Chatzky
Financial Health
The refrigerator goes kaput. The plumbing in the basement springs a leak. You need a pricey medical test that isn’t covered by insurance. These are emergencies. Which is why I’m always amazed that people with emergency cushions panic and put these expenses on their credit cards. Use the cushion. Replenish it when you’re out of the woods.

Jean Chatzky is an award-winning personal finance journalist, TODAY show financial expert and coauthor of Age-Proof: Living Longer Without Running Out of Money or Breaking a Hip, and Money Rules: The Simple Path to Lifelong Security, among others.

Excerpted from Money Rules: The Simple Path to Lifelong Security by Jean Chatzky. Copyright © 2012 by Jean Chatzky. Reproduced under license from Rodale Inc. All rights reserved.

Money Rules: The Simple Path to Lifelong Security

A powerfully simple, must-have manifesto on money with more than 90 wealth-building rules from the Today show's finance guru.In a time of great financial uncertainty, this is the book everyone must read. The bottom line: Money is simple-people make it complicated. Now, bestselling personal finance author Jean Chatzky has distilled this simplicity into a smart, immediate, and entertaining set of rules that will change readers' financial lives. Chatzky removes the stress associated with all things money and says it clearly: Readers who follow these basic yet crucial approaches to spending, saving, investing, increasing their income, and most importantly, protecting what they have, will build the wealth and financial stability they've been dreaming of. Chatzky's advice is reassuring, straightforward, and often counterintuitive, including: - Date your stocks; don't marry them.- 'More money' won't always make you 'more happy.'- To spend less, carry Benjamins, not Jacksons.- If you can't explain it, don't invest in it.- 'Free' can be very expensive.Written in her trademark warm, witty voice, and with a special Dos and Don'ts section, Money Rules: The Simple Path to Lifelong Security by Jean Chatzky is the only book readers really need to achieve true financial health and happiness.

Continue Learning about Financial Health

Why You Should Start Saving for College Now
Although it might seem like you have ample time between taking photos at kindergarten graduation and celebrating a college acceptance, saving money fo...
How do I save on vegetables while on a low budget diet?
Many fresh vegetables are cost-effective, but there a few that are exceptional for weight loss. $1 D...
9 Healthy Hacks To Save Money
9 Healthy Hacks To Save Money9 Healthy Hacks To Save Money9 Healthy Hacks To Save Money9 Healthy Hacks To Save Money
Spend less and improve your health with these thrifty hacks. 
The Easiest Ways to Save $1,000
The Easiest Ways to Save $1,000