What happens when my term life insurance expires?

Maria Ferrante-Schepis
Financial Health
One advantage to term life insurance is that your premium–that is, the amount you pay to your insurer each month--remains the same for the length of time you choose (e.g. 10, 20 or 30 years). But after that, your premiums increase significantly every year. Before that term period is up, it’s a good idea to consider buying another term policy if you’re eligible and your insurance need is going to continue. If you're not eligible because of age or health, and your term insurance contains a conversion feature, you should consider upgrading to a permanent life insurance plan. You’ll pay more, but then you can keep the insurance as long as you like, often without risk of your premium increasing further. 

Continue Learning about Financial Health

How Will Your Health Impact Your Retirement Savings?
As science and medicine continue to advance and help us live longer, it’s only logical that we need to save more for our retirement years. Although th...
When should I use my emergency fund?
Jean ChatzkyJean Chatzky
The refrigerator goes kaput. The plumbing in the basement springs a leak. You need a pricey medical ...
6 Weird Facts About Money
6 Weird Facts About Money6 Weird Facts About Money6 Weird Facts About Money6 Weird Facts About Money
You may be surprised by what’s really in your wallet.
Are You Getting a Deal at the Dollar Store?