What should I do before paying a hospital bill?

Request an itemized hospital bill. Not before you're discharged from the hospital, but before you pay. Hunt for mistakes, overcharges, and any other costly gaff. The bill will be riddled with undecipherable jargon and acronyms, although the large monetary figures will be clear. You'll need help translating it, and your insurance company may not offer it.

If any questions or discrepancies arise, make an appointment with the hospital's patient billing advocate and go over it. If you're footing 20% of the total, you don't want to be charged twice for a $1,700 test. And you don't want your insurance company to be charged twice either—it increases everyone's rate.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Financial Health

What is an annuity?
Ric EdelmanRic Edelman
The term annuity simply refers to a stream of income. Pensions and Social Security benefits, for exa...
How much term life insurance do I need?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
For a quick estimate of how much term life insurance you need, simply take your yearly salary before...
How can I apply for healthcare assistance?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Every healthcare assistance program has its own eligibility standards. When you contact a progra...
11 Simple Ways to Spend Less, Save More
11 Simple Ways to Spend Less, Save More11 Simple Ways to Spend Less, Save More11 Simple Ways to Spend Less, Save More11 Simple Ways to Spend Less, Save More
Learn tricks from the savviest savers to buy the things you really want—and still build your nest egg. If you really want to change your financial ou...