Should I put my medical debt on a credit card?

When your medical debt mounts, you may be tempted to transfer the debt to a credit card. Don't do it, say the financial experts. And don't convert your medical debt, which is unsecured, to a secured obligation by paying it off with your home-equity line of credit. The hospital may offer you a credit line from an outside lender at 0 percent interest. That's not a good idea, either, because the 0 percent rate usually jumps into the 20 to 30 percent range if you miss a payment. Plus, once your balance is off the hospital's books, you lose any negotiating leverage you have.

Continue Learning about Financial Health

3 Tips to Reduce Food Waste
3 Tips to Reduce Food Waste
“Just Eat It” is an award-winning 2015 documentary exploring shameful throw-away food habits. Seems most folks are wary of less-than-perfect produce, ...
Should I get life insurance for my children?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
While some people think getting life insurance for their children is either a waste or somewhat cree...
5 Sneaky Ways Retailers Get You to Overspend
5 Sneaky Ways Retailers Get You to Overspend5 Sneaky Ways Retailers Get You to Overspend5 Sneaky Ways Retailers Get You to Overspend5 Sneaky Ways Retailers Get You to Overspend
Be a smart shopper and beware these tricks to part you from your money.
Shark Tank’s Robert Herjavec on Finding Success