How can I save money on prescription drugs?

The most obvious answer is to use generic drugs as much as possible. Even if there isn't an exact generic equivalent for what you're taking, there is probably a therapeutic alternative that will work just as well. Don't be shy about telling your doctor you want a generic prescription. I once had pink-eye, and the doctor was going to give me a prescription for an expensive eye drop until I said I wanted generic, even if I had to use it more times a day.

Some medications that have no real alternative may offer coupons from the manufacturer. Usually, your doctor would have some of those if they are available.

If you have no prescription drug insurance, always call around to pharmacies to ask the price. Some pharmacies will offer a discount for seniors or AAA members. 

Continue Learning about Financial Health

Take Your Mind off Your Money
Take Your Mind off Your Money
Tempted to tally up all the money you spent last month? Here's a reason to limit your assess-the-damage session. Dwelling on money spent can mess wit...
Two Reasons Not to Cut Up Your Credit Cards
If you’re dealing with debt, it might seem like the logical move to cut up your credit cards and walk away – but DON'T. Here's why: 1. If the card st...
How to Pay for College
How to Pay for CollegeHow to Pay for CollegeHow to Pay for CollegeHow to Pay for College
Tuition costs can cause sticker shock, but keep in mind that you have several options when it comes to paying the bill. During a college search, all t...
4 Quick Ways to Reduce Money Stress
4 Quick Ways to Reduce Money Stress4 Quick Ways to Reduce Money Stress4 Quick Ways to Reduce Money Stress4 Quick Ways to Reduce Money Stress
Calm your mind and improve your bottom line. Money worries? You’re not alone. A 2018 study found Americans are more stressed about finances than they ...