How can I find out how much my surgery will cost me?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing
The cost for healthcare services can be very difficult information to obtain. If you have health insurance, ask your insurance carrier for help first. If you have a large deductible, it is important to understand an estimate of what you will owe. Before the surgery, speak with the hospital or outpatient center financial office and ask for a written estimate.  Some facilities provide forms online that allow you to request this information. Unfortunately, there are many facilities that are not organized to provide the cost of services. If you have a choice of facility, check with multiple places so that you can make the most informed decision. 

Not only is preparing for surgery stressful, it’s also outrageously expensive. That’s why doing your homework could save you a great deal of stress when the bills start to come in. Get in writing at least an estimate of the cost of the surgery, including hospital stay and follow-up therapy, and check with your insurance company to see how much of the surgery will be covered by your plan. Unforeseen expenses can create a considerable financial burden, so it’s best to know what you’ll have to pay ahead of time. 
The Women's Guide to Ending Pain: An 8-Step Program

Are you one of the 80 million North American women suffering from the chronic pain of:* Menstrual cramps* Fibromyalgia* Headaches * Carpal tunnel syndrome* Back or neck pain?Starting today, you can...

Continue Learning about Financial Health

How to Talk to Your Spouse About Life Insurance
Few couples relish the idea of discussing life insurance. Some just don’t want to think about it, while others may mistakenly assume that they don’t n...
How can I afford home healthcare services?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Home healthcare services can be costly. Some services may be partially covered by private medica...
What You Need to Know About Long-Term Care Insurance
What You Need to Know About Long-Term Care InsuranceWhat You Need to Know About Long-Term Care InsuranceWhat You Need to Know About Long-Term Care InsuranceWhat You Need to Know About Long-Term Care Insurance
Most of us will experience a disability or chronic illness at some point in our lives. This coverage can help.
The $1 Fast Fix to Beat Dandruff
The $1 Fast Fix to Beat Dandruff