Why is planning for retirement important?

This is also a time to think about later years. Money is crucial to aging well and healthfully. Because women live longer and earn less than men, they face extra challenges in saving funds for their retirement years. Unfortunately, traditional sources of retirement income are less stable than before. Fewer people receive defined-benefit pensions, and the current level of social security payments is not guaranteed forever. Although some women can expect retirement income from their husbands or partners, most women receive nothing other than social security. Even those who were promised continued benefits after retirement may be denied pensions or health insurance when former employers merge, are bought out by other companies, or go bankrupt.
Take time to plan for your financial security in retirement. Make a long-term budget, check your pension benefits if you have them, find out about your social security benefits, increase your savings, and start an individual retirement account (IRA) account.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...
Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Retirement living is complex. Planning for who you want to be, what you want and can afford, where you want to be and how it will occur are critical issues that must be given time to think through. Many factors affect people's retirement decisions. Utilizing a retirement checklist can help you track your progress and add new items to your account.

Continue Learning about Financial Health for Mental Well-Being

What are the benefits of financial planning for retirement or death?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
Financial planning for retirement or death has the following benefits: Making sure your money wi...
How much should I be saving for emergencies only?
I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of telling you whether I believe investing in internation...
What steps should I take to develop a financial plan for retirement?
When it comes to saving money, start saving yesterday. Tuck your savings in accounts where it will g...
Why should I treat my money the same way I treat my body?
While we know that financial burdens can weigh us down, a lot of us would like to ignore the issues ...