Why should I treat my money the same way I treat my body?

While we know that financial burdens can weigh us down, a lot of us would like to ignore the issues until a crisis happens - simply because we don't know all that much about it. As you know with your body, the smartest approach is to think about your health all the time - not a few minutes before the ambulance arrives. So instead of burying your head, apply some standards of health to your financial attitudes. Overspending is like overeating (serious aging or a serious price to pay with no easy answer if it gets out of control). Day trading is like binge eating sugar and saturated-fat-laden foods (feels good at the time, but not so much over the long haul). A retirement account is like exercise (do a little bit along the way and the long-term benefits are exponentially greater than the investment). The fact is if you treat your money with the same respect and care you ought to treat your body, then there's simply a decreased chance you're going to need financial CPR.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Financial Health for Mental Well-Being

Why is planning for retirement important?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
This is also a time to think about later years. Money is crucial to aging well and healthfully. Beca...
How are human's brains hard-wired to react to money?
Like so many other health issues, this one also starts in the brain - more specifically why we're ha...
What should a financial planning checklist for retirement or death include?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
A financial planning checklist for retirement or death may be done with a financial planner and/or a...
How much should I be saving for emergencies only?
I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of telling you whether I believe investing in internation...