How much should I be saving for emergencies only?

I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of telling you whether I believe investing in international stock is smarter than investing your life savings in some new-fangled company that makes silk pencils. Of all the financial decisions you will make over your life, this one is a no-brainer. Every time you get paid, take ten percent of that check and put it in an emergency account. It doesn't count for retirement, it's not used for bills, and it's not something you tap into when you decide that you really, really, really, really need an automatic lollipop maker. It's something that will give you peace of mind. Having an emergency backup account to use if the car dies, or your spouse needs someone to go with them to chemotherapy, or you need to go to a different job, or the roof leaks. this emergency account lets you take care of unforseen expenses and still enabling you to pay bills, save for retirement, and make investments. It will relieve your day-to-day financial stress as much as anything short of winning the Super Six.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Financial Health for Mental Well-Being

How are human's brains hard-wired to react to money?
Like so many other health issues, this one also starts in the brain - more specifically why we're ha...
What should a financial planning checklist for retirement or death include?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
A financial planning checklist for retirement or death may be done with a financial planner and/or a...
What steps should I take to develop a financial plan for retirement?
When it comes to saving money, start saving yesterday. Tuck your savings in accounts where it will g...
Do I have a money problem?
It's a pretty good indication that you have a money problem if... - You rank money ahead of health, ...