What kind of medical specialists diagnose and treat fibromyalgia?

Many different types of doctors can diagnose and treat fibromyalgia. Sometimes a rheumatologist, a doctor that specializes in diagnosing and treating arthritis and other joint, muscle, and bone diseases, can make the correct medical diagnosis of fibromyalgia and treat the symptoms. Neurologists, doctors that specialize in diseases of the brain, may play a big part in diagnosing and treating fibromyalgia. This is because newer studies link fibromyalgia to more blood flow in certain areas of the brain that manage pain, and also to unusual levels of certain brain chemicals such as neurotransmitters. Other doctors who may treat fibromyalgia include pain specialists. In addition, your doctor may recommend that you seek treatment with a psychiatrist, rehab specialist, or a physical therapist.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia

How do food allergies affect fibromyalgia?
Somepeople are allergic or sensitive to certain foods and food ingredients, including gluten (foun...
How many new cases of fibromyalgia are diagnosed each year?
The number of new cases of fibromyalgia diagnosed each year is difficult to estimate. The Centers fo...
How do I find the right doctor to help me with my fibromyalgia?
Some people with fibromyalgia have difficulty finding a doctor who understands their condition. As a...
What is the difference between fibromyalgia and Lyme disease?
Unlike fibromyalgia, a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi is the cause of Lyme disease, which is ...