How do I find the right doctor to help me with my fibromyalgia?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
For patients with fibromyalgia, you should find a board certified Rheumatologist that specializes in autoimmune diseases and treatments. Consider doing an online internet search for local rheumatologists. You may also call local hospital and recieve a list of specialists on staff. Ask for the chief of the department. 
Some people with fibromyalgia have difficulty finding a doctor who understands their condition. As a result, they may not receive care and treatment that can help them control pain and other symptoms of fibromyalgia.

If you are not satisfied with the treatment you are receiving, ask your doctor to refer you to a physician who specializes in caring for patients with fibromyalgia. There is a good chance that your doctor will refer you to a rheumatologist, a physician who specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases of the joints, muscles, and bones. Doctors who specialize in pain management are another option for people who have fibromyalgia.

If your doctor is unable to refer you to the right specialist, consider joining a local fibromyalgia support group and ask other members for the names of good doctors who treat this frustrating condition.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia

What You Need to Know About Fibromyalgia
When you have fibromyalgia, even simple tasks – getting out of bed, chopping vegetables, buttoning a child's coat – can be painful. Unfortunately, doc...
What percentage of the U.S. population is affected by fibromyalgia?
The percentage of the US population affected by fibromyalgia is approximately 2%. This involves abou...
What to Eat if You Have Fibromyalgia
What to Eat if You Have FibromyalgiaWhat to Eat if You Have FibromyalgiaWhat to Eat if You Have FibromyalgiaWhat to Eat if You Have Fibromyalgia
Can the foods you eat improve or worsen your fibromyalgia symptoms?
Stay Hydrated to Ease Fibromyalgia Fatigue