What is amitriptyline for the treatment of fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant drug that works through its effects on brain chemicals. It is used to treat depression. It can also reduce pain and fatigue and improve sleep. Amitriptyline is considered first-line treatment for fibromyalgia, but is not FDA-approved for this use.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant drug that works through its effects on brain chemicals. ...
Are there any alternative treatments for fibromyalgia I should avoid?
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain AssociationNational Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
Complementary therapies can be very beneficial for people with fibromyalgia (FM). These include: phy...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?