What is amitriptyline for the treatment of fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant drug that works through its effects on brain chemicals. It is used to treat depression. It can also reduce pain and fatigue and improve sleep. Amitriptyline is considered first-line treatment for fibromyalgia, but is not FDA-approved for this use.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How can walking help people with fibromyalgia?
Research suggests that mildly to moderately intense walking may dial down fibromyalgia pain and ...
How is temperature sensitivity treated in fibromyalgia?
If you have fibromyalgia, you may find that you are particularly sensitive to cold and heat. In ...
Are There Natural Treatments For Fibromyalgia?
How Do I Manage My Fibromyalgia Pain?
How Do I Manage My Fibromyalgia Pain?