Is surgery used to treat fibromyalgia?

Researchers have discovered that some people with fibromyalgia have a specific type of structural abnormality in the spinal cord. In some cases, doctors may offer surgery to correct this spinal cord problem to patients with fibromyalgia. However, studies show that the majority of people who have symptoms of fibromyalgia do not have this structural problem in the spine. In most cases, fibromyalgia is best managed with conventional treatments, including medication and regular physical activity.
Surgery is not a recognized treatment for fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is treated with pain medications and other drugs, sleep management, psychological support, and complementary treatments including acupuncture, myofascial release therapy, water therapy, and yoga. If you are seeing a health professional who promises you that your fibromyalgia symptoms will improve from a surgical intervention, find another doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How effective is pregabalin at treating fibromyalgia?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
About 10% to 25% of people with nerve pain, such as those with fibromyalgia, will have pain intensit...
What qualifies an orthopedist to treat fibromyalgia?
Bal M. Rajagopalan, MDBal M. Rajagopalan, MD
Great Question. Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion for an Orthopedic Surgeon meaning when all ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Fibromyalgia?
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?