Can I manage the symptoms of fibromyalgia without taking medication?

You're not alone if you'd like to manage the symptoms of fibromyalgia without medication. About nine out of 10 people who have fibromyalgia have tried some form of alternative medicine. Some of the most common choices include acupuncture, chiropractic, exercise, massage, and herbs and other dietary supplements.

Do they work? So far there has only been a modest amount of research on alternative therapies for fibromyalgia. The track record is mixed, but it does seem that the world of non-Western medicine may have something to offer fibromyalgia patients. In particular, tai chi exercises have been shown to be helpful. Just be sure to clue your doctor in if you decide to try an alternative treatment for fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How is temperature sensitivity treated in fibromyalgia?
If you have fibromyalgia, you may find that you are particularly sensitive to cold and heat. In ...
How can I overcome the pain caused by my fibromyalgia?
You can overcome the pain caused by your fibromyalgia by following your doctor's treatment plan, whi...
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming