What kinds of surgeries are used to treat fibromyalgia?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
You may have heard about a form of surgery that is supposed to treat and relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Some doctors have noticed that fibromyalgia has some of the same symptoms as certain conditions caused by deformities of the skull and spine. Some people with fibromyalgia have undergone surgery to repair these deformities, hoping that the procedure would relieve pain and other symptoms. However, studies show that the majority of people with fibromyalgia do not have these brain and skull deformities. There's little reason to believe that any type of surgery can treat or cure fibromyalgia.
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Surgery is not typically used to treat fibromyalgia. This condition causes widespread pain, fatigue, insomnia, and other symptoms. According to one theory, fibromyalgia may be caused by structural abnormalities at the base of the brain. Some doctors have proposed that surgery to repair this abnormality could treat fibromyalgia symptoms. However, studies show that the majority of people with fibromyalgia do not have this brain abnormality. Conventional approaches such as medication and exercise remain the best ways to treat fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How often should I see my doctor if I have fibromyalgia?
Every case of fibromyalgia is unique, so let your symptoms be your guide to determining how often yo...
Should fibromyalgia be treated different in seniors than in adults?
Fibromyalgia isn't any different in seniors than it is in younger people, but your doctor should...
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?
Why Are Antidepressants Sometimes Prescribed to Treat Fibromyalgia?