What kinds of surgeries are used to treat fibromyalgia?

Surgery is not typically used to treat fibromyalgia. This condition causes widespread pain, fatigue, insomnia, and other symptoms. According to one theory, fibromyalgia may be caused by structural abnormalities at the base of the brain. Some doctors have proposed that surgery to repair this abnormality could treat fibromyalgia symptoms. However, studies show that the majority of people with fibromyalgia do not have this brain abnormality. Conventional approaches such as medication and exercise remain the best ways to treat fibromyalgia.
You may have heard about a form of surgery that is supposed to treat and relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Some doctors have noticed that fibromyalgia has some of the same symptoms as certain conditions caused by deformities of the skull and spine. Some people with fibromyalgia have undergone surgery to repair these deformities, hoping that the procedure would relieve pain and other symptoms. However, studies show that the majority of people with fibromyalgia do not have these brain and skull deformities. There's little reason to believe that any type of surgery can treat or cure fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How effective is pregabalin at treating fibromyalgia?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
About 10% to 25% of people with nerve pain, such as those with fibromyalgia, will have pain intensit...
How can I overcome the pain caused by my fibromyalgia?
You can overcome the pain caused by your fibromyalgia by following your doctor's treatment plan, whi...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
Are There Natural Treatments For Fibromyalgia?