How is temperature sensitivity treated in fibromyalgia?

If you have fibromyalgia, you may find that you are particularly sensitive to cold and heat. In particular, you may feel cold at temperatures that others find comfortable. Not everyone with fibromyalgia has these symptoms, but they are not uncommon. Relaxation techniques, especially autogenic training, have been shown to help people with fibromyalgia feel warmer in their limbs. There are no specific medical treatments for temperature sensitivity, but treatment that reduces your fibromyalgia symptoms, including pain, may also help reduce your sensitivity to heat and cold.

You can also develop coping mechanisms, such as bringing an extra layer of clothing to work or on trips, and making sure you don't sit next to drafty windows. If you've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it's your right to have a workplace that accommodates your medical needs, including a temperature that is comfortable for you.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

What qualifies a pain specialist to treat fibromyalgia?
Pain medicine is a multidisciplinary medical subspecialty. Doctors who practice this type of medicin...
How effective is amitriptyline for the treatment of fibromyalgia?
Amitriptyline probably provides good pain relief for some people with fibromyalgia, but will not wor...
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
What Are the Treatment Options for Fibromyalgia?