How is temperature sensitivity treated in fibromyalgia?

If you have fibromyalgia, you may find that you are particularly sensitive to cold and heat. In particular, you may feel cold at temperatures that others find comfortable. Not everyone with fibromyalgia has these symptoms, but they are not uncommon. Relaxation techniques, especially autogenic training, have been shown to help people with fibromyalgia feel warmer in their limbs. There are no specific medical treatments for temperature sensitivity, but treatment that reduces your fibromyalgia symptoms, including pain, may also help reduce your sensitivity to heat and cold.

You can also develop coping mechanisms, such as bringing an extra layer of clothing to work or on trips, and making sure you don't sit next to drafty windows. If you've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it's your right to have a workplace that accommodates your medical needs, including a temperature that is comfortable for you.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Who should be on my healthcare team if I have fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Many different types of physicians treat patients with fibromyalgia, including: Primary care doc...
Are there any alternative treatments for fibromyalgia I should avoid?
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain AssociationNational Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
Complementary therapies can be very beneficial for people with fibromyalgia (FM). These include: phy...
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better
What Are the Treatment Options for Fibromyalgia?