How is pregabalin used to treat fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful for some people with fibromyalgia. Pregabalin works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It may help to reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It may also help improve sleep. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Why might blood pressure go up when treating fibromyalgia?
You may experience an increase in blood pressure as a side effect of taking certain medications for ...
What can be done to treat muscle spasms and fibromyalgia?
Muscle spasms can be a real problem if you have fibromyalgia. Some people complain that their mu...
How Do I Manage My Fibromyalgia Pain?
How Do I Manage My Fibromyalgia Pain?
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better