How is pregabalin used to treat fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful for some people with fibromyalgia. Pregabalin works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It may help to reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It may also help improve sleep. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Can nerve stimulation help my fibromyalgia?
Could a gentle shock to your system jolt away fibromyalgia symptoms? Some scientists believe tha...
How can exercising in water help control my fibromyalgia?
Numerous studies report that this form of low-impact exercise -- especially when done in warm wa...
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better
Are There Natural Treatments For Fibromyalgia?