How is pregabalin used to treat fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful for some people with fibromyalgia. Pregabalin works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It may help to reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It may also help improve sleep. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Can yoga help treat fibromyalgia?
Some studies show that yoga not only reduces the pain of fibromyalgia but also helps people with fib...
How does understanding stress help with treating fibromyalgia?
People with fibromyalgia need to understand the important role that stress can play in causing and w...
How Can I Tell If My Fibromyalgia Treatment Is Working?
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better