How is gabapentin used to treat fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Gabapentin (Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful for people with fibromyalgia. Gabapentin works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It can help to reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It also helps improve sleep. Gabapentin has been used and studied as a treatment for fibromyalgia, but is not FDA-approved for this use.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How is excessive sweating in CFS and fibromyalgia treated?
For relief from excessive sweating, try some of the following remedies: Before sleep, apply anti...
Can yoga help treat fibromyalgia?
Some studies show that yoga not only reduces the pain of fibromyalgia but also helps people with fib...
How Can I Tell If My Fibromyalgia Treatment Is Working?
How Can I Tell If My Fibromyalgia Treatment Is Right?