How is gabapentin used to treat fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Gabapentin (Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful for people with fibromyalgia. Gabapentin works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It can help to reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It also helps improve sleep. Gabapentin has been used and studied as a treatment for fibromyalgia, but is not FDA-approved for this use.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Are there any alternative treatments for fibromyalgia I should avoid?
Be wary of fibromyalgia "cures" you see advertised on the Internet. If it sounds too good to be ...
Can I take Lyrica with other medicines?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes, you can. But make sure your doctor and pharmacist know all of your medicines you take and any h...
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?
Why Are Antidepressants Sometimes Prescribed to Treat Fibromyalgia?