How effective is gabapentin at treating fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

About one-third of people with nerve pain, such as those with fibromyalgia, will have pain intensity reduced by 50% or more by taking gabapentin. Over half will experience no significant pain relief. It is difficult to predict who will respond and who will not. A short trial may be helpful.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How is gabapentin used to treat fibromyalgia?
Gabapentin (Horizant, Neurontin) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful ...
What supplements can I take if I have fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
The most effective supplements for fibromyalgia include S-adenosyl methionine and melatonin, tak...
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Treatment Options for Fibromyalgia?