How is counseling used to treat fibromyalgia?

Depression and anxiety are very common in people with fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia itself -- which causes intense chronic pain over much of your body, interferes with sleep, and affects your ability to concentrate -- can eventually lead to depression. It's an incredibly frustrating condition, so it's not surprising that it can cause depression. It's also possible that the chemical imbalances in your brain that bring on pain sensitivity and other fibromyalgia symptoms can also cause mood changes.

Whatever the cause, if you experience low moods that last for a few weeks, talk to your doctor about getting help. Some antidepressants may help with fibromyalgia pain and depression. Certain kinds of therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, have been shown to be particularly effective in helping people with fibromyalgia, reducing your chances of developing depression.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How is light sensitivity in CFS and fibromyalgia treated?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Light and sound sensitivity are not uncommon in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia, as...
How is joint stiffness in fibromyalgia treated?
Many people with fibromyalgia wake up feeling stiff all over, which can make it especially diffi...
How Do I Manage My Fibromyalgia Pain?
How Do I Manage My Fibromyalgia Pain?
What Are the Criteria to Diagnose Fibromyalgia?