Is heat an effective treatment for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Heat can be an effective treatment for some fibromyalgia symptoms such as pain and stiffness as well as stress. Ask your doctor how heat therapy might help you. Approaches include simple steps such as using heat packs and taking warm baths, and hydortherapy.
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
Applying heat to muscles that hurt can make it easier to gently stretch them. If you try to stretch a muscle that has tender points, the muscle may recoil and will hurt even more. Applying heat, such as from a heating pad, can make it much easier to stretch those muscles without pain. Never stretch to the point of pain.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

What can be done to treat muscle spasms and fibromyalgia?
A combination of medication and stretching exercises can be used to treat muscle spasms and fibromya...
How effective is pregabalin at treating fibromyalgia?
About 10% to 25% of people with nerve pain, such as those with fibromyalgia, will have pain intensit...
Are There Natural Treatments For Fibromyalgia?
How Can I Tell If My Fibromyalgia Treatment Is Working?