Where can I get a reliable referral for a fibromyalgia specialist?

Ask your primary-care physician to refer you to a doctor who specializes in treating fibromyalgia. Rheumatologists are generally thought to have the most expertise in diagnosing and treating fibromyalgia. Rheumatologists specialize in caring for diseases affecting the joints, muscles, and bones. Other options include doctors who specialize in pain management.

If your primary-care physician can't refer you to a doctor who specializes in fibromyalgia, consider joining a support group for people with fibromyalgia and ask other members for referrals.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Fibromyalgia is often a term used widely for generalized weakness and fatigue with unknown etiology. A board certified Rheumatologist should be consulted. Testing including laboratories of auto-immune factors will be ordered to rule out or in a specific diagnosis. Fibromyalgia is often a diagnosis from Exclusion of all other auto-immune disorders.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Should fibromyalgia be treated different in seniors than in adults?
Fibromyalgia is normally diagnosed during middle age, but some symptoms - such as morning stiffness ...
How is dizziness in fibromyalgia treated?
One potential side effect of fibromyalgia is a problem called neurally mediated hypotension. Tha...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
What Are the Criteria to Diagnose Fibromyalgia?