Should fibromyalgia be treated different in seniors than in adults?

Fibromyalgia isn't any different in seniors than it is in younger people, but your doctor should treat you a little differently. As we age, we process medications differently, so a prescription that works for someone who is 30 may act differently for someone who is 70. Seniors may also have other medical conditions, such as arthritis or heart problems, so it's important to make sure that your doctor knows about everything you are being treated for. You don't want to take too many different medications, when fewer ones might work.

Fibromyalgia can also cause cognitive problems, so-called "fibro fog." It's important to make sure that any confusion or problems concentrating you have are due to fibromyalgia, and not other causes. A doctor who has experience working with seniors can help you with that.
Fibromyalgia is normally diagnosed during middle age, but some symptoms - such as morning stiffness -- can become more of an issue with age.

People with rheumatoid arthritis or other types of arthritis may be more likely to have fibromyalgia, and arthritis is more common in seniors. At any age, if you have concerns about your fibromyalgia treatment plan, talk with your doctor. He or she should help you find solutions that will help manage your fibromyalgia symptoms over time.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

How often should I see my doctor if I have fibromyalgia?
Every case of fibromyalgia is unique, so let your symptoms be your guide to determining how often yo...
How effective is pregabalin at treating fibromyalgia?
About 10% to 25% of people with nerve pain, such as those with fibromyalgia, will have pain intensit...
What Are the Treatment Options for Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?