Why did my doctor prescribe Lyrica?

There are several possible reasons that your doctor prescribed Lyrica for you. Lyrica, also known by its generic name of pregabalin, is a medication taken by mouth that can help people with certain conditions manage their pain, or it can help prevent partial onset seizures.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Lyrica for treating pain in people who have nerve damage due to diabetes and discomfort following a flare-up of shingles (a painful rash caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which also causes chickenpox). It can improve function and relieve pain in people with fibromyalgia. Lyrica is also an anticonvulsant medication and is sometimes prescribed in combination with other drugs to help people control their seizures.

The best way to find out why Lyrica is recommended for you is to ask your doctor.
Your doctor is the best person to tell you why he or she prescribed Lyrica for you. Lyrica is the brand name for pregabalin. It is an oral medication, which means you take it by mouth. It is one of three medications approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat fibromyalgia. It is also prescribed for treating pain from diabetic neuropathy or from the viral infection shingles. In adults who have epilepsy, Lyrica is sometimes prescribed with other medications to help control seizures. For more information about Lyrica, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What medications are used to treat fibromyalgia?
Finding the right doctor or specialist to diagnose and treat fibromyalgia is an important first step...
What is pregabalin?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. It is also helpful for people wi...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?