What safety information should I know about Lyrica?

Here is important safety information about Lyrica (pregabalin), a prescription drug used to relieve pain in people who have fibromyalgia and neuropathy and to reduce seizures in people prone to them. Your doctor may start you out on a small dose of Lyrica for the first week or so. If you tolerate it well and don't experience serious side effects, he may raise your dose to make it more effective for you.

Side effects of Lyrica include:
  • allergic reactions in some people, causing symptoms including hives, wheezing, shortness of breath or head or throat swelling. Call your doctor at the first sign of these symptoms.
  • mood changes, depression and even thoughts of suicide in some people. If you experience these symptoms, call your doctor, but don't stop taking the medication until you do. Stopping Lyrica suddenly may cause potentially serious withdrawal effects.
  • dizziness or drowsiness. Your doctor or pharmacist may advise you not to drive until you know whether Lyrica causes these side effects in you.
  • birth defects. Don't take Lyrica when you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant.
Lyrica can interact with other prescription and nonprescription medications and supplements. Make a list of the supplements and medicines you take, and show it to your pharmacist and doctor to lower your risk of interactions. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any other questions about Lyrica.
Lyrica (pregabalin) is a drug that can reduce nerve pain and lower the risk of partial-onset seizures in people with epilepsy, but it can cause side effects too. To stay safe while taking Lyrica, there are several steps you can take.
  • Be honest with your doctor and pharmacist. Lyrica can interact with other medicines, supplements and recreational drugs. Make sure your pharmacist and doctor are aware of any prescription drugs or supplements you take regularly, and tell them if you drink alcohol or use recreational drugs. Make a list of all the supplements and prescription and nonprescription medications you take, and share it with the pharmacist and your doctor.
  • If you plan to become pregnant or are pregnant, talk to your doctor about going off Lyrica or not starting Lyrica until after you've given birth. Lyrica may cause birth defects in the offspring of either men or women taking the drug.
  • Tell your doctor about any side effects you experience from Lyrica, especially symptoms that may signal a medical emergency. These include hives, itching, facial or throat swelling, vision changes, shortness of breath, chest pain or wheezing.
  • Don't miss appointments with your doctor. He needs to monitor you closely while you're on Lyrica to make sure you don't experience any serious side effects.
  • Don't stop taking Lyrica without talking to your doctor first. Stopping Lyrica suddenly may cause potentially serious withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor may want to wean you off the medication gradually.
  • Keep Lyrica out of children's reach. Talk to your pharmacist about the best ways to dispose of expired or unused medicine.
  • Ask questions. If you have any concerns about your Lyrica prescription, be sure to talk to your pharmacist or doctor.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Is Slow-Mag helpful for fibromyalgia pain?
MediGuardMediGuard
Slow-Mag contains 64mg of magnesium. Manganese and malic acid supplements have not been evaluated by...
Are there medications that can cure fibromyalgia?
A variety of medications can help you cope with fibromyalgia and its symptoms. But at present th...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?