What should I know before taking pregabalin?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have New York Heart Association (NYHA) class III or IV heart failure, pregabalin may not be a good option for you.

If you have had angioedema, pregabalin may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, pregabalin may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

You should not take pregabalin if you are breastfeeding.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

How effective are pain medications in reducing fibromyalgia pain?
Dr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DODr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DO
There are great treatment options for fibromyalgia, especially if there is a comprehensive plan for ...
How is pregabalin used to treat low back pain?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. Pregabalin works by blocking ner...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?