What drugs are used to treat sleep problems caused by fibromyalgia?

It is important for the doctor of a patient with fibromyalgia to discover whether there is a cause for sleep disturbances. Such sleep problems include sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome and teeth grinding. If the cause for a person's sleep disturbance cannot be determined, low doses of an antidepressive group of drugs, called tricyclic antidepressants, or short-acting sleeping medications, such as zolpidem (Ambien), may be beneficial. People need to understand these medications are not addictive when used in low dosages (e.g., amitriptyline 10 mg at night) and have very few side effects. In general, routine use of sleeping pills such as Halcion, Restoril, Valium, etc., should be avoided as they impair the quality of deep sleep. It is claimed that zolpidem avoids this problem. 

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

How is pregabalin used to treat low back pain?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. Pregabalin works by blocking ner...
How effective are pain medications in reducing fibromyalgia pain?
Dr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DODr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DO
There are great treatment options for fibromyalgia, especially if there is a comprehensive plan for ...
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?