Is pregabalin safe to use during pregnancy?

It is not clear whether pregabalin is safe to use during pregnancy. The United States Food and Drug Administration has decided that risk to the fetus cannot be ruled out with this drug. Studies done on animals have shown that pregabalin can cause birth defects in the animal babies, but this does not necessarily mean that the drug would cause harm in human fetuses. Because there is so little information available on the safety of pregabalin in pregnant women, you should only use it if you and your doctor have decided that the benefit you get from taking it outweighs the possible risks to your developing baby.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What should I know before taking pregabalin?
If you have New York Heart Association (NYHA) class III or IV heart failure, pregabalin may not be a...
How effective is pregabalin?
Studies of pregabalin for chronic nerve pain show that up to 50% of people get at least moderate imp...
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?