How do I take Lyrica?

Follow your doctor's instructions for when to take Lyrica and the right dose for you. You can take Lyrica with or without food, but try to take it at the same times every day.

Your doctor may monitor your response to Lyrica and adjust your dose accordingly. You should never change the amount of Lyrica you take on your own, and you should not stop taking Lyrica without consulting your doctor first. Stopping Lyrica suddenly may cause side effects including headaches,   stomach upset or trouble sleeping.

If you miss a dose of Lyrica, you may be able to take the dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time of your next dose, simply skip your missed dose altogether. Check with your doctor for the best advice for  you. Do not take two doses at once to make up for a missed dose.

Lyrica should be taken exactly as prescribed. You should take it orally with a full glass of water, at roughly the same time each day. Lyrica is typically taken two to three times a day. It can be taken with or without food. It is important that you continue taking Lyrica even if you feel better. If you wish to stop taking Lyrica, talk to your doctor about lowering your doses gradually. People who suddenly stop taking Lyrica can experience withdrawal symptoms, such as headaches, anxiety, sleep problems, nausea, diarrhea or excessive sweating. Those who are taking Lyrica for epilepsy may experience an increased number of seizures, if they do not gradually reduce their doses of Lyrica.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What is pregabalin?
Dr. Courtney L. Lee, MDDr. Courtney L. Lee, MD
Pregabalin is the generic name for the medication known by the brand name Lyrica. The U.S. Food ...
What should I know before taking pregabalin?
If you have New York Heart Association (NYHA) class III or IV heart failure, pregabalin may not be a...
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?