How is pregabalin used to treat low back pain?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. Pregabalin works by blocking nerve signals in the brain that transmit pain. It can help to reduce pain, fatigue, and anxiety. It also helps improve sleep. Pregabalin may help control low back pain when combined with other treatments, but has not been shown to be effective on its own. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Does pregabalin interact with any other drugs?
If you are taking an ACE inhibitor, a central nervous system depressant, rufinamide, or a selective ...
How effective is pregabalin?
Studies of pregabalin for chronic nerve pain show that up to 50% of people get at least moderate imp...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?