How is Lyrica different from over-the-counter pain medicines?

Lyrica is a prescription medication that's approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat fibromyalgia, pain caused by nerve damage in diabetes and pain that remains after a bout of the viral infection shingles. Although more study is needed to understand exactly how Lyrica works, it's believed to reduce the pain messages transmitted by overactive nerve cells.

By contrast, there are two types of over-the-counter (nonprescription) pain relievers: acetaminophen, which is thought to reduce pain by affecting the parts of the brain in charge of pain messages; and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), which lessen pain by reducing prostaglandins, substances in the body that can irritate nerve endings. Ibuprofen, aspirin and naproxen are all NSAIDS.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What should I know before taking pregabalin?
If you have New York Heart Association (NYHA) class III or IV heart failure, pregabalin may not be a...
Are there medications that can cure fibromyalgia?
A variety of medications can help you cope with fibromyalgia and its symptoms. But at present th...
Does pregabalin interact with any other drugs?
If you are taking an ACE inhibitor, a central nervous system depressant, rufinamide, or a selective ...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?