How does Lyrica treat seizures?

Lyrica is effective in treating partial seizures if it is taken with other antiseizure medications. Seizures occur when the brain becomes overstimulated by rapidly firing electrical impulses. Pregabalin, the main ingredient in Lyrica, is often used to treat epileptic seizures by regulating these impulses through neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters transport electrical messages between neurons in the nervous system. The neurotransmitter GABA has been known to stabilize electrical activity in the brain by calming over-excited impulses. Because pregabalin's configuration is similar to that of GABA, it is thought to have the same nerve calming effect on the brain.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

How effective are pain medications in reducing fibromyalgia pain?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Pain medications are notoriously ineffective for reducing fibromyalgia pain. A review published ...
What are some side effects of pregabalin?
Side effects of pregabalin may include dizziness, sleepiness, headaches, vision problems, memory pro...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?