How does Lyrica treat seizures?

Lyrica is effective in treating partial seizures if it is taken with other antiseizure medications. Seizures occur when the brain becomes overstimulated by rapidly firing electrical impulses. Pregabalin, the main ingredient in Lyrica, is often used to treat epileptic seizures by regulating these impulses through neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters transport electrical messages between neurons in the nervous system. The neurotransmitter GABA has been known to stabilize electrical activity in the brain by calming over-excited impulses. Because pregabalin's configuration is similar to that of GABA, it is thought to have the same nerve calming effect on the brain.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Can anti-seizure medications help treat fibromyalgia?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is the only anti-seizure medication that is also approved for treating fibromyal...
What drugs are used to treat sleep problems caused by fibromyalgia?
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain AssociationNational Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
It is important for the doctor of a patient with fibromyalgia to discover whether there is a cause f...
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?