Does Lyrica work by reducing the myelin around the nerves?

Lyrica belongs to a class of drugs called anticonvulsants. It is thought to work by decreasing the pain signals that are sent out by body's nerves.
Lyrica is used in the treatment of neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia and epilepsy. The exact mechanism of action of Lyrica is not completely understood.  It is believed to work by controlling the release of neurotransmitters that may cause pain or seizures. Myelin is an insulating layer around the nerve that helps to transmit impulses along the nerve. Lyrica does not work by reducing the myelin around your nerves. The long-term side effects of Lyrica are not well known. Lyrica is known to cause weight gain but the long-term effects of this weight gain are not known. Patients have also reported blurred vision with Lyrica but the long-term effects on the eyes are not known. If changes in your vision occur, you should contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

How is pregabalin used to treat low back pain?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. Pregabalin works by blocking ner...
What should I know before taking pregabalin?
If you have New York Heart Association (NYHA) class III or IV heart failure, pregabalin may not be a...
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?