What is the active ingredient in Lyrica?

The active ingredient in Lyrica is a medication called pregabalin. Pregabalin belongs to a class of drugs called anticonvulsants. Lyrica is commonly prescribed for preventing seizures in people who have epilepsy and other conditions. However, the pregabalin in Lyrica seems to help relieve fibromyalgia pain, too. Pregabalin appears to work by blocking pain signals from damaged nerves.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What are some side effects of pregabalin?
Side effects of pregabalin may include dizziness, sleepiness, headaches, vision problems, memory pro...
Can anti-seizure medications help treat fibromyalgia?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is the only anti-seizure medication that is also approved for treating fibromyal...
What Are the Criteria to Diagnose Fibromyalgia?
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?