What is the active ingredient in Lyrica?

The active ingredient in Lyrica is a medication called pregabalin. Pregabalin belongs to a class of drugs called anticonvulsants. Lyrica is commonly prescribed for preventing seizures in people who have epilepsy and other conditions. However, the pregabalin in Lyrica seems to help relieve fibromyalgia pain, too. Pregabalin appears to work by blocking pain signals from damaged nerves.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Can I take Lyrica with other medicines?
Courtney L. Lee, MDCourtney L. Lee, MD
If you take Lyrica, talk to your doctor or your pharmacist before taking any other medications. L...
What medications are used to treat fibromyalgia?
Finding the right doctor or specialist to diagnose and treat fibromyalgia is an important first step...
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?