How do I find out whether my acupuncturist is NCCAOM certified?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

The gold standard for acupuncturists is NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) Diplomate status. Look for these initials after the person’s name: OMD (Doctorate in Oriental Medicine), L.Ac. (Licensed Acupuncturist), or other abbreviations as explained at NCCAOM’s Web site: www.nccaom.org/diplomates/index.html.

The “Dipl. Ac. (NCCAOM)” designation indicates this acupuncturist has been trained at a properly accredited facility and has passed the rigorous NCCAOM competency examination. There are about fifty-five accredited schools, but many more that are not. Diplomates are expected to take continuing education courses and must renew their certification every four years.

The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Acupuncture to Treat Fibromyalgia

Can acupuncture help treat fibromyalgia?
Among the many different alternative treatments that have been tried for fibromyalgia, acupuncture m...
Why is it important to ask an acupuncturist where his clients come from?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Look for an acupuncturist who is so successful that he can rely exclusively on word-of-mouth referra...
How do I find out whether my acupuncturist really wants to treat me?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Dr. Tess Hahn, the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine’s (NCCAOM...
Can I expect my insurance company to cover acupuncture for fibromyalgia?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Before you begin your search for an acupuncturist, find out if your insurance company covers acupunc...