How common is obesity in people with fibromyalgia?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Obesity is a global epidemic that affects approximately one-quarter of adults in the United States and Europe and one-fifth of adults in China. Obesity is generally defined as weighing 20% or more over your ideal body weight. Being overweight is even more common among people with fibromyalgia. Seven in every ten people with fibromyalgia are overweight, and half can be classified as obese.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Physical Effects of Fibromyalgia

Can fibromyalgia cause weight gain?
In short, no, fibromyalgia does not directly cause weight gain; however, weight change is a comm...
Is morning stiffness related to fibromyalgia?
People with fibromyalgia may feel pain or stiffness upon getting up in the morning. Another possible...
What effect does fibromyalgia have on my immune system?
Scientists are studying whether fibromyalgia has any effect on the immune system. This much is known...
How does fibromyalgia affect my endocrine system?
You could just as easily flip the question  and ask: How does my endocrine system affect my fibr...