How does fibromyalgia affect my musculoskeletal system?

Muscle pain is one of the main symptoms of fibromyalgia. But that doesn't mean you have fibromyalgia if you wake up one day feeling sore and achy. You may simply have overdone it at the gym or worked too long in the garden the day before. Fibromyalgia's effects on the musculoskeletal system follow a fairly well-defined pattern. To diagnose fibromyalgia, a doctor will look for these criteria:
  • You have had persistent muscle pain for three months or more.
  • Your pain is widespread, and has lasted at least three months.
  • You have other symptoms like fatigue, waking unrefreshed and difficulty thinking clearly.

Continue Learning about Physical Effects of Fibromyalgia

How does fibromyalgia affect my endocrine system?
You could just as easily flip the question  and ask: How does my endocrine system affect my fibr...
Is light and sound sensitivity common with fibromyalgia?
Sensitivity to lights and sounds is very common with fibromyalgia. Bright lights and loud noises can...
Are women with fibromyalgia less likely to get pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
A study published in the Clinical Journal of Pain found that women with fibromyalgia are less like...
How common are bladder problems in people with fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Bladder or urinary problems may also occur with fibromyalgia, although these have been studied l...