How does fibromyalgia affect my musculoskeletal system?

Muscle pain is one of the main symptoms of fibromyalgia. But that doesn't mean you have fibromyalgia if you wake up one day feeling sore and achy. You may simply have overdone it at the gym or worked too long in the garden the day before. Fibromyalgia's effects on the musculoskeletal system follow a fairly well-defined pattern. To diagnose fibromyalgia, a doctor will look for these criteria:
  • You have had persistent muscle pain for three months or more.
  • Your pain is widespread, and has lasted at least three months.
  • You have other symptoms like fatigue, waking unrefreshed and difficulty thinking clearly.

Continue Learning about Physical Effects of Fibromyalgia

Is light and sound sensitivity common with fibromyalgia?
Sensitivity to light and sound is common with fibromyalgia. If you suffer from fibromyalgia, you...
Can fibromyalgia put me at a higher risk for diabetes?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic medical condition affecting 2-4% of the population, and most commonly ...
Is fibromyalgia life threatening?
Fibromyalgia is not life threatening. The disorder can be painful and uncomfortable, but it won't ca...
What causes face and jaw pain in fibromyalgia patients?
Although less common than other coexisting conditions, temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) dev...