What effect does fibromyalgia have on my immune system?

Scientists are studying whether fibromyalgia has any effect on the immune system. This much is known: The symptoms of fibromyalgia can mimic those of common autoimmune disorders. An autoimmune disorder occurs when the body's immune system, which normally defends against germs and other invaders, mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease, and others can cause symptoms such as pain, fatigue, and gastrointestinal problems. These are also common symptoms of fibromyalgia. If you are experiencing these and other symptoms, particularly persistent pain, see your doctor. 
Fibromyalgia's relationship with the immune system remains a bit of a mystery. The immune system is your body's defense system. It springs into action when germs enter the body, rallying chemical defenders to kill bacteria, viruses, and other threats. However, sometimes the immune system develops a glitch and attacks healthy tissue. That's the problem in lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and other autoimmune diseases.

Here's where things can get a little confusing. If you have fibromyalgia, you may be referred to a rheumatologist. These doctors treat autoimmune disorders. However, the key feature of these diseases, inflammation, doesn't occur in fibromyalgia. And some common treatments used to reduce inflammation haven't proven effective for fibromyalgia in studies.

But just to add a twist, studies have shown that people with fibromyalgia often do have high levels of immune cells called cytokines -- which are needed to produce inflammation. This much is clear: The link between fibromyalgia and the immune system needs further study.

Continue Learning about Physical Effects of Fibromyalgia

How does fibromyalgia affect my endocrine system?
You could just as easily flip the question  and ask: How does my endocrine system affect my fibr...
How does fibromyalgia trigger headaches?
It's likely that fibromyalgia pain and tension in the shoulders, upper back and neck help trigger he...
What are the physical effects of fibromyalgia?
The physical effects of fibromyalgia are different for everyone, but all folks with fibro have one...
How common are digestive problems in people with fibromyalgia?
Patients with fibromyalgia may frequently experience nausea, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain,...