How do I handle other people's reactions to my fibromyalgia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
You will probably experience a range of reactions to your fibromyalgia from friends, family, coworkers, and others. Some may question whether fibromyalgia is a real illness, or tell you, "But you don't look sick!" This can be frustrating, but try not to let it get you down. Save your energy for the important things you want to accomplish. Some friends and family may be in denial about your fibromyalgia, and act as if nothing is wrong. You may want to broach the subject of fibromyalgia with them gently and remind them that it's okay, and healthy, to talk about your condition. Be open and responsive to any questions others may have about fibromyalgia. You can be an educational source for them.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health and Fibromyalgia

Why is it helpful to identify my emotional state before I had fibromyalgia?
Coping with fibromyalgia can be emotionally draining, but many people who are diagnosed with this co...
How should I feel about my body's changes due to fibromyalgia?
It can be frustrating and emotionally difficult when your body becomes increasingly sensitive to pai...
Does stress make fibromyalgia symptoms worse?
Dr. Natalie E. Azar, MDDr. Natalie E. Azar, MD
Stress is known to make fibromyalgia symptoms worse; it can exacerbate or trigger a flare-up in fibr...
How do I avoid losing my sense of humor with fibromyalgia?
Dealing with fibromyalgia, like dealing with any debilitating chronic problem can be difficult. How ...