Why is denial or avoidance a detrimental response to fibromyalgia?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Many people cope with chronic pain and insomnia by pretending it isn’t happening. But this coping strategy may be costing you lots of your limited energy that could be better used for proactive approaches to alternative treatments, like taking a water aerobics or yoga class.

What matters the most is how well you cope emotionally with your illness and that you take proactive steps toward positive lifestyle changes, including more exercise and a better diet. You must conquer denial before you can be a fully successful patient.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health and Fibromyalgia

Why is it helpful to identify my emotional state before I had fibromyalgia?
Coping with fibromyalgia can be emotionally draining, but many people who are diagnosed with this co...
How should I feel about my body's changes due to fibromyalgia?
It can be frustrating and emotionally difficult when your body becomes increasingly sensitive to pai...
How do I handle other people's reactions to my fibromyalgia?
You will probably experience a range of reactions to your fibromyalgia from friends, family, coworke...
Sharing Care About Fibromyalgia
Sharing Care About Fibromyalgia