Is fibro fog real?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Problems with concentration, attention, memory, and being able to plan and complete tasks are commonly seen in people with fibromyalgia. These symptoms are also referred to as fibro fog, a term that describes a feeling of being stuck in a cloud that limits a person's ability to perform mental tasks.

Objective tests support what people with fibromyalgia report with regard to fibro fog. The simple memory tests that doctors perform in their offices won't identify these problems, but they can be documented by neuropsychological testing, which involves an in-depth battery of psychological tests. Researchers from the University of Michigan compared what people with fibromyalgia said about their memory and how well they performed on detailed memory testing. This important study showed that people with fibromyalgia are good judges of their memory function, and that they don't need sophisticated neuropsychological tests to know they have fibro fog.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Mental Effects of Fibromyalgia

What is fibro fog?
There is a cognitive problem, often referred to as "fibro fog," that many people with fibromyalgia e...
Can fibromyalgia have emotional effects?
Any chronic or long-term illness can have emotional effects. Fibromyalgia can make you feel anxi...
How is my fibromyalgia affecting my thinking?
Fibromyalgia can affect your thinking in several ways. Called "fibro fog," cloudy thinking from ...
How can I best deal with fibro fog?
Here's a hint: if you're looking for your reading glasses and finally find them in your sock dra...