Q

Living With Fibromyalgia

What can I do if I find that certain activities aggravate my fibromyalgia?

• Most people with fibromyalgia (FM) quickly learn there are certain things they do on a daily basis that seem to make their pain problem worse. These actions usually involve the repetitive use of muscles or prolonged tensing of a muscle, such as the muscles of the upper back while looking at a computer screen. Careful detective work is required by the person to note these associations and, where possible, to modify or eliminate them. Pacing of activities is important; doctors recommend that people use a stopwatch that beeps every 20 minutes. Whatever they are doing at that time should be stopped and a minute should be taken to do something else. For instance, if they are sitting down, they should get up and walk around -- or vice versa.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can people with fibromyalgia manage their IBS?