Are there support groups for people with fibromyalgia?

Getting support from others who live with daily chronic, widespread pain can help your coping skills. Fibro may be debilitating, but it's sure not contagious, so you don't have to quarantine yourself. There are a number of support groups across the country for people with fibromyalgia. Here's how to find one:
  • Check with the National Fibromyalgia Association for a list of support groups.
  • Ask your doc about support groups in your community.
  • Check with your local hospital or pain clinic for fibromyalgia support groups.
  • Call the local chapter of the Arthritis Foundation to see if they have listings for support groups.
We all need someone to lean on. For people with fibromyalgia, support groups help in many ways. Support groups offer encouragement and compassion from others who have the same feelings and symptoms. While support groups are not personal therapy sessions, they do provide a place for people with fibromyalgia to vent their frustrations, ask others about treatments, and feel as if someone knows what they are going through. Contact the Arthritis Foundation to locate a support group near you or search online for "virtual" fibromyalgia support groups that you can join on the Internet.
Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
There are many support groups and look for one in your area. I have found there are two main types of groups. The first are those that offer emotional support so that you know you are not alone. The second focuses more on offering information on how to get well. Both of these can be helpful depending on your needs at the moment. Be sure however that you feel better and not worse after leaving a support group meeting. The Fibromyalgia Network is an excellent national support group, as is the Fibromyalgia Coalition International. Do a simple search online in your area to find a support group near you.

There are many groups and resources that can help patients with fibromyalgia.

These groups include: 

• The American Chronic Pain Association
• The American Fibromyalgia Syndrome Association
• The American Pain Foundation
• HealthyWomen
• The Fibromyalgia Network
• The National Fibromyalgia Association
• The National Fibromyalgia Research Association
• The National Pain Foundation

Continue Learning about Living With Fibromyalgia

How do I talk to my family about my fibromyalgia?
You know the old saying: Honesty is the best policy. Being candid with your family about your fibrom...
How can I feel my best today with fibromyalgia?
Living with fibromyalgia doesn't mean you have to accept a life of pain, fatigue, or other uncomfort...
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?
How Can I Prevent Fibromyalgia Flare-Ups?